Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Keeping It Real

What no holiday post? The Buehlmans couldn't hang with it for even one month? Nope. Not the case. But in the "keeping it real" department, life gets in the way sometimes. Sick kids, traveling husbands, laundry... life happens. As a recovering perfectionista, I am trying hard to embrace this fact.

I did a project three years ago called "365". I took a picture every day for a year. It was fun, it was hard, it was (at times) overwhelming, and I was relieved when it was over. BUT, it is my most favorite album of all time and I've recovered enough from the exercise to take on this holiday extravaganza and to tackle it with a dose of reality. I wish I could keep this real time, and maybe at some point I will. For instance I'd love to be posting tomorrow's holidays today. I'm just not there yet and that's ok. Perhaps I'll post a monthly list instead. See? I'm celebrating a personal "Don't Get Your Big Girl Panties in a Twist Over This" Holiday! Woo Hoo!
I've realized a few blog/project rules are emerging: Rule #1: It's ok to miss a day, but don't make a habit out of it. If we have to celebrate National Houseplant Appreciation Day a day late, I'm sure the ficus will survive. Unless I'm in charge of watering it, then it has no hope. But that's a tale for another day. Even if we miss a day, it is guaranteed that we are talking about the holiday and planning the celebration; Rule #2: No old photos of us doing something relating to the holiday unless they support the current holiday photos and no internet stock photos. I used personal photos for Bird Day but mixed them with current celebration photos - legal move. [In a few days I will break this rule for personal preservation reasons...you'll have to check in to see what I'm talking about. Teaser!  Holla!] ;and Rule #3: Spend as little money as possible in the celebrations. This is adding a nice dose of additional creativity (hello groovy hypnosis glasses and BK crowns!) I'm keeping track and hope to have a monthly tally to see how we are doing.

So that's it. Keeping it real. We aren't perfect but we are motivated. Kid is better, husband is coming home, and there will be some major celebrating going on here tonight!

Enjoy this great day and celebrate it - just because!

No comments:

Post a Comment