Wednesday, February 15, 2012

January 24th - There's Beer in Them Thar Hills!

January the 24th provided a laundry list of holidays to celebrate. Here is what we had to choose from:
  • Eskimo Pie Patent Day
  • Belly Laugh Day
  • Compliment Day
  • Beer Can Day
  • Talk Like a Grizzled Prospector Day
Our only goal this year is to celebrate one holiday every day. Anything beyond that is pure icing so there is never any pressure to do them all. However, it can be hard to choose sometimes.

I nixed the eskimo pie because all of these food related holidays are killing me, and we still had 3/4 of the blonde brownies left. I have my limits. Hmm...so which should we choose, which should we choose? Oh come on, of course we chose Beer Can Day. Don't be silly.


We each had a beer with dinner. We have an impressionable young man in our house so we do take care with how much we imbibe so as not to be irresponsible, drunken boobs around Spence. And then he went to bed. Those two beers up there in the picture are the next two beers we had because we forgot to take pictures of the first two. Whoops.

I'm not sure what happened after that. It all gets a little hazy...but I remember something about a walrus...


and then Mark lost his beer at some point...


This pretty much took care of Compliment Day ("Honey, you look so cute with a beer can on your head!") and Belly Laugh Day (cuz who doesn't love a walrus with beer can tusks?)

And then there was Talk Like a Grizzled Prospector Day. I wish I had recorded some video of me walking around the house yelling, "Eureka!" and "Tarnation, I know there's gold in them thar hills!" and "I lost my daggum right eye fighting' that hornswogglen son of mule in the rush of '49, but durn it the gold kept-a callin' me." I never met a "Talk Like Something Silly Day" that I didn't like. The more we celebrated Beer Can Day the better my grizzled prospector impersonation got. Weird, huh? Even weirder, I started to look more and more like a grizzled prospector...


(I just googled "Grizzled Prospector" to find this image and there is a Facebook page for "I like to talk like a grizzled prospector." Go figure!)

It didn't occur to us until the next morning that it wasn't called "EMPTY Beer Can Day" but by then it was too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment